8 Tips to keep your data safeProtect yourself and your business from the 13,842 attempted cyber attacks happening in South Africa every day.
Set Memorable Passwords. Forget using characters or numbers in place of letters trying to make secure passwords. Use memorable passwords made up of at least 3 random words you will remember. Don’t use the same password for all systems. Instead, have a strong password set for differing groups of systems to help you remember. For example, social media group passwords, financial banking applications group, Online shopping, machine, and work password groups.
Beware of using free software. Especially free antivirus software and any software key hacks. Many of them contain Malware to track your life through the internet
Always update your PC and Mobile devices with the latest security patches from the source vendor.
Never use free USB sticks from an event or that someone has given to you. Unless you have up to date antivirus software installed you are running a big risk of being infected.
Always be aware when opening any email even from people you know.
- Don’t trust anything you haven’t expected. Always be suspicious of emails you haven’t expected, even from people you know. Especially if it asks you to open an attachment, click on a link or divulge any information.
- Verify the sender address by clicking reply, you will see that an alleged internal email is really going somewhere else.
- Requests for money should raise alarm bells. Always treat requests for money or sensitive information with a high degree of skepticism.
- Look but don’t click. Hover your mouse over any links embedded in the body of the email. If the link address looks suspicious, don’t click on it
- Verify with the sender.If the tone or the purpose of the email is slightly out of the ordinary, like a request for payment from the CEO to you, rather call or text the sender before actioning anything.
We recommend getting your staff trained on how to spot phishing email attacks. Contact your Mr Backup representative today for further information and training available.
Get a Recovery Plan… As well keeping yourself secure with education, antivirus and security software the ultimate recovery solution should you become a target always falls back to having a reliable and automated backup and recovery solution.
Your Backup and Recovery plan must include the 3-2-1 Rule.Have 3 copies of your data. Use 2 separate storage systems. 1 copy of your data in a separate location.
Increase your knowledge of online security threats. Learn about the different types of attacks cybercriminals will use to access your data.
Malware can be defined as any programme or file intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems without the user’s knowledge. Malware can include computer viruses, worms and Trojan horses.
A “worm” is a standalone malware computer programme that replicates itself in order to spread to other computers.
A Trojan horse is a type of malware that is often disguised as legitimate software.
Spyware is software that collects a person’s personal information such as credit card numbers, without the person knowing it is happening. The information is sent to criminals without the consumer’s consent where it can be used to commit fraud.
Key loggers are devices which will record every keystroke a user makes. Keystroke logging is malicious spyware that is used to capture sensitive information like passwords or financial information. Sensitive information is sent to third parties for exploitation by criminals.
MONITOR & REPORT
Make staff education, system updates, recovery processes, monitoring and reporting part of your day to day business. Security is not a one-off project. Ask your Mr Backup contact how to improve your security to help you discuss and guide you on the best solutions for your business.
Mr Backup Offers the following services:NEW SERVICES from South Africa’s leading data protection experts
Mr Backup has been busy enhancing services to support the needs of our customers by expanding our Cloud Backup, support monitoring, security, and consultancy services.
Cloud Backup Services
- Cloud Backup for Windows, Linux, Apple
- Backup for Office 365 Mail, OneDrive, SharePoint
- Offsite Server replication and hosting
- Disaster Recovery as a Service
Onsite storage and backup solutions
- Stealth Replicators
Monitoring – Security – Support
- Daily backup reports
- System health monitoring
- Enhanced anti-virus tools
- Web based backup management tools
Security, Disaster Recovery, and Compliance Consultancy
- Stay ahead of the new government and financial regulations
- Threat Protection and best security practices
- Disaster recovery planning
- Staff data security training